*Affiliate links used. Using these links are of no cost to you, but help to keep this website running. Thank you!*
If you like salads, but hate the prep, then making them ahead of time in batches will help save you a LOT of time! This Chicken Vinaigrette Mason Jar Salad is super simple and basic, but it can easily be adapted to whatever you’re in the mood for! And the best part? When you’re ready for the salad, you can simply grab it from the refrigerator, flip it upside down and shake, then pour on your plate to enjoy!
This recipe calls for one, but with mason jars you can make several at one time and keep it in the refrigerator.
I used these Quart Sized Mason Jars (32 oz) and they were the perfect size. Also, I would go for the wide mouth jars, as they will be easier to empty the salad onto the plate!
Mason Jar Salad basics: Layering
Layering the mason jars in a certain order will help keep your veggies fresh and crisp!
- Layer one: Start with the dressing. Always put the dressing at the bottom.
- Layer two: Non-lettuce veggies. Here you’ll want to put veggies that will not absorb the dressing (such as carrots, bell peppers)
- Layer three: Soft veggies: ie. tomatoes, cucumbers
- Layer four: Proteins/Beans
- Layer Five: Romaine lettuce/leafy greens
With the 21 Day Fix, there are dressing recipes that are provided. Making foods from scratch is always going to be preferable, however, some of us (ME!) do not have the time to make those dressings. If you’re looking for a salad dressing that is “Fix-approved”, I would suggest you start with the refrigerated dressings in the produce section! These dressings typically have less preservatives and have “cleaner” ingredients (ie. olive oil instead of canola oil). For this particular recipe, I used Bolthouse Farms Classic Balsamic Vinaigrette. The first ingredient? Pineapple juice!
Berries can be expensive, especially out of season. If produce cost is an issue, you can try: frozen berries (Dollar Tree sometimes sell these!), strawberries, or cubed apple pieces. I’ve also used 1/2 purple of berries, and it was still plenty for this salad.
Chicken Vinaigrette Salad
21 Day Fix Count: 1 Red, 2 Green, 1 Purple, 1 Orange
- 2 Tablespoons Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 3/4 cup grilled chicken breast, cubed
- 1 cup strawberries (sliced) OR blueberries
- 1 cup leafy greens
- 1 cup chopped veggies (carrots, tomatoes)
- In mason jar, place the ingredients in the following order: Dressing, Chopped Veggies, Berries, Chicken, Leafy Greens
- Pack jar tightly, so it will remain fresher for a longer period.
If you like this recipe, check out my Southwest Chicken Mason Jar Salad recipe, too!