Brownies are seriously my weakness. A former (AWESOME) roommate used to make brownies all the time and it was the perfect friendship. After a little experimentation in the kitchen, I concocted this clean version of brownies with a twist: the addition of cherries and chocolate flavor combination. These clean cherry coconut black bean brownies will give you a sweet treat without the deprivation of flavor!
Instant coffee is optional. It will bring out some of the cocoa flavor, but if you don’t have it, you can skip it. Also, note that coffee grinds would give the brownies a gritty texture so I’d recommend skipping if you don’t have the instant.
21 Day Fix
Cut into 9 pieces, and have one (counted as a yellow treat). You could freeze the leftovers (pre-portioned into baggies) and warm them in the microwave when you’re ready to eat them.
Cherry Coconut Black Bean Brownies
- 1 (15.9 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp instant coffee (optional - see notes below)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup frozen pitted cherries (thawed and drained)
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened toasted coconut
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Put all ingredients (except for cherries and toasted coconut) into a food processor/blender. Blend until smooth (it should resemble cake batter at this point). Throw in the cherries and pulse enough to break up the cherries into smaller pieces.
- Pour batter into a 9" square cake ban (use cooking spray). Sprinkle toasted coconut on top.
- Bake in oven for 30-32 minutes. Let cool before slicing, and enjoy.