My husband is a pizza addict! We live in New York, and pizza is a dietary staple in these parts. So many pizzerias are available and you can just walk in and grab a slice of your choice. However, it’s not exactly considered a HEALTHY dietary staple! This weekend I decided to throw some stuff together and made this beautiful, tasty creation- Cauliflower Pizza Casserole! My husband, who does NOT do veggies, devoured this up! It’s also versatile enough that you can add extra veggies (peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc) to spice it up even further.
And a word on one of the ingredients – cauliflower rice.
I heard about this little gem at Trader Joe’s. It’s in the frozen veggies section. The last time I went, I bought every bag available! All you have to do is throw it in the microwave and you’ve got a veggie filler suitable for many different things. Go get some! If you don’t have that luxury, here is a website where you can do it for yourself: http://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-cauliflower-rice/
Oh – and this recipe is gluten free, grain free, low carb, and for you 21 Day Fixers – no yellows were harmed in the making of the dish! Yes, save your yellows for something else!!
21 Day Fix: Scoop out 1 green, then count as 1 green, 1 red, and 1 blue
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 lb turkey sausage
- 1 1/2 cups (12 oz) riced cauliflower
- 12 oz pasta sauce (look for sauce without sugar in ingredients)
- 1 package turkey pepperoni
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400
- In skillet, cook italian sausage until browned.
- While sausage is cooking, cook cauliflower and drain liquids (if necessary)
- In 8 x 8 dish, layer the ingredients in order listed, using half of each to do two sets of layers.
- Place dish in oven and cook for about 20 minutes, or until cheese starts to brown on top.