Cabbage is a super-nutritious food, packed with nutrients and all kinds of anti-oxidants. This recipe is a spin-off of the traditional stuffed cabbage recipe. This recipe for Unstuffed Cabbage will give you a filling, nutritious meal with flavors reminiscent of traditional stuffed cabbage. It’s also 21 Day Fix approved!
I’ve got all my ingredients ready to go. I ended up not using the salt, and about half of the cabbage (it was large!)
For those who don’t like chopping onions, or prefer not to see onions in your food, a Ninja is a nice little accessory to have. 😀
The turkey sausage is browning up nicely and the kitchen is smelling awesome!
21 Day Fix
1 1/2 Cups = 1 Red, 1 Green
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey sausage (you can also use ground turkey)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 small cabbage, chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes (low sodium or no salt added)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce (no sodium or no salt added)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion, and sautee for 1 minute.
- Add the turkey and pepper (and salt, if desired) and cook, stirring, until the turkey is no longer pink and onion is tender.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.